Lip augmentation procedure is to increase the size of thin lips. The upper or As clear from its name, the lip augmentation is a procedure to increase the size of the lips. Depending on the patient's requirement this can be performed on the upper lip or lower lip or both. Therefore, it is important that you discuss this with your doctor during the initial consult in order to attain desired outcomes and avoid any confusions.
You should also let your doctor know about the following if you're considering a lip augmentation treatment:
- If you have any kind of allergies
- If you had a keloid earlier
- Any medicine that you take regularly
- If you have any chronic diseases like diabetes, heart or lung disorders.
There are some instructions your doctor would expect you to follow including:
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications.
- Quit smoking 2 weeks prior to the procedure.
- After the procedure, you'll be suggested to have liquid diet or soft and easy to chew food for initial few days.
- You can use ice packs to reduce the swelling and redness if any.
Lip augmentation is possible both surgically and non-surgically. Non-surgical methods are usually temporary while surgical techniques last longer.
include dermal fillers which usually consist of hyaluronic acid and last up to a year or so.
Following are some of the most commonly performed surgical procedure for lip augmentation:
1. Synthetic Implants give you really long-term results, however, being a foreign substance there are chances of infection with these implants. But, you don't need to worry as your surgeon can easily remove these implants.
2. Fat Grafting uses fat from patient's own body (generally from thighs or abdomen) which s then grafted into the lips. Unlike synthetic implants, this is a safe and risk-free technique. Though, the swelling lasts longer for about 10-15 days.
What aftercare is required?
- Ice packs can be used to reduce the swelling.
- As mentioned earlier, have a liquid and soft diet.
- Sleep in an upright position for a few weeks.
- Avoid heavy exercises